We are God's Works of Art

Friday, July 16, 2010

God's Masterpiece


God’s Masterpiece


      Have you ever noticed something and marveled at God’s handiwork. I can picture God smiling and saying, “It’s is good” as he looked at his creation. All summer long, since the leaves have filled in on the trees, my family and I have been blessed with a reminder of God‘s greatest masterpiece. There is a filed and a church behind our house. This past winter I was able to get several beautiful photos of the church covered with snow and marveled at the beauty of winter.

     Spring came and new life began to stir, flowers bloomed and leaves grew on the trees. Once again I was blessed with a beautiful scenic view as we looked out from our deck. Summer is here and we have been blessed to see a constant reminder of God’s love. The leaves of the tree on the far side of the church, or should I say the lack of leaves, have formed a cross. In the middle of the tree there is a cross shaped space where you can see the blue sky surrounded by beautiful green leaves.

     My mother was the first to notice it as she sat in our living room one morning. I looked up and there it was, a perfectly shaped cross. We’ve looked at the cross all summer long and pointed it out to family and friends who’ve been to visit. Everyone has been amazed and they usually whip out their cell phones and take a picture or two.

     We’ve had several strong storms and lots of high winds that have changed the shape of several trees in the area, but the cross is still there. Trees are growing, more leaves and branches are filling in and leaves have filled in all around it, but the cross is still there.

     When storms assault our life, illness, loss of a job, your car breaks down, divorce, or even death we can take comfort in the fact that what God accomplished through the cross is still there. Our faith may waver from time to time, but what God did through his son Jesus will never change. God’s love for us will stand forever.

     Today our lives get hectic with day-to-day living and other things that come up to fill our time. Our ‘branches’ get full, not only with school or work, but with ball games, the kids dance rehearsals, play practice, piano recitals and other ‘leaves’ of activities. The things just mentioned are not bad things, but if we get so involved we let other things crowd out time with God, we’re just too busy.

     I wonder how many squirrels are in the tree with the cross image? They are so close to the cross, but they just run round doing what squirrels do. They live their busy little lives never knowing that they are living so close to an amazing display of God’s love. Does that describe you?

     Have you ever watched a squirrel? They are rarely still; they rest a few minutes and then they're going again. I’m a lot like a squirrel. I need the words of Psalms 46:10 ever before me so I can read hourly, “Be still, and know that I am God”. I’m always busy doing something and I have to remind myself constantly to “Be Still” and spend some time with God. I need to ’Be Still” and talk to him, but I need to spend even more time listening to him.

     I’m so grateful that God has placed a reminder of his love before me. I’m always in awe as I look toward the cross and I can feel him smile and say, “I did this for you, my squirrelly child.

Paint each day with God’s love,
Frankie


1 comment: